In this podcast episode, I sit down with Monika Radulovic, who shares her 2 vaginal breech birth stories and the challenges of adjusting to life with a new baby while ensuring her older child, Luka, feels included and loved.
First Breech Birth Story
Monika’s journey into motherhood took an unexpected turn with the arrival of her firstborn, Luka. Her initial plan for a home birth was met with an eventful New Year’s Eve, as her waters broke, setting the stage for a unique birthing experience. Amidst labour pains and uncertainty, Monika’s resilience shone through as she faced the reality of a vaginal breech birth, requiring a hospital transfer.
Monika’s Second Surprise Pregnancy
Life has a way of surprising us, and for Monika, it came again with her second pregnancy. With a hunch and an early morning pregnancy test, she discovered she was expecting her second child, Matteo. This unexpected journey led to a remarkable and smoother pregnancy experience compared to her first, despite being a second breech baby.
Navigating the Breech Birth Journey yet again
Monika’s second vaginal breech birth journey was not one she had envisioned, but it was a testament to her strength and adaptability. We dive deeper into the strategies that helped her stay calm during the potentially stressful moments of childbirth:
Breech Birth Strategies for Staying Calm
1. Staying Calm Amidst the Storm: Monika shares her techniques for maintaining composure during the unpredictability of childbirth. Whether it’s breathing exercises or visualisation, finding your inner calm can make all the difference.
2. Preparing for the Unexpected: Being prepared for different birth scenarios is crucial, as Monika learned firsthand. Knowing your options and having a birth plan that allows for flexibility can provide peace of mind.
Sibling Bonds: Supporting her oldest child through the transition
One of the most beautiful but sometimes challenging aspects of expanding a family is ensuring that older siblings feel secure and loved during the transition. Whilst not an expert in this subject, Monika offers invaluable tips for parents in this situation:
1. Avoid Blaming the Baby: Monika advises against associating the baby with any delays or changes in routine. Instead, reassure your older child that you’ll be available shortly, making them feel valued and respected.
2. Encourage Involvement: Incorporating your older child in daily activities can be a game-changer. Whether it’s helping with household chores or preparing meals together, it fosters a sense of belonging and responsibility.
3. Embrace Baby Carriers: Using a baby carrier can be a lifesaver. It allows you to bond with your new baby while tending to the needs of your older child, keeping them close and connected.
Monika’s journey through a vaginal breech birth and the challenges of sibling adjustment is a testament to the resilience of mothers everywhere. Her story reminds us that even when life takes unexpected turns, love, adaptability, and preparation can see us through. Whether it’s embracing the unpredictability of childbirth or nurturing sibling bonds, Monika’s experiences offer invaluable insights for families embarking on similar journeys.
** This podcast has general information only. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your health or medical condition.
Preparing for birth Pelvic health checklist
Monika’s Instagram: @monika_rad